There are no seven wonders of the world in the eyes of a child. There are seven million. ~Walt St

There are no seven wonders of the world in the eyes of a child.  There are seven million.  ~Walt St
There are no seven wonders of the world in the eyes of a child. There are seven million. ~Walt Streightiff

Friday, March 4, 2011

Experience with Childbirth

I have very little experience on the topic of child birth. I never asked my mother before she passed what happened the day I was born. I do know my dad and grandparents were there. If I had to guess I would say several aunts, uncles, and cousins were as well. I have stood by a couple of friends while they were experiencing the joys of labor. I have been anxiously waiting in the hospital waiting rooms for many births of friend's children. All births I have been close to occurred in a controlled hospital setting in a major city. I have never had the opportunity to witness a delivery, but I'm sure I will one day. Someday I hope to have the joy of having my own child. I remember the birth of my best friend Dawn's daughter the most. We were fifteen when her her daughter was born, we had no experience with babies outside of babysitting, and no experience with child birth. When she found out she was pregnant it was a shock, at first. She told the father and a friend first, and she told her mother, my family, and I three months into the pregnancy. This is often the case with teenage pregnancy. As I know from reading in education classes those first three months are a the most critical time and should be monitored very closely. Here arises one of our problems with young mothers and the importance of prenatal care. So many young mothers are scared. As educators there is a need to reach them, make them feel safe, cared for, and aware.
Dawn called me as soon after she found out. About 39 weeks later when she went into labor she called me right away. I remember going in and talking to her while she was in terrible pain and sick. She was vomiting in a bowl and being the best friend's we were she said go rinse and wipe this out. GROSS!!, but you've got to do what you've got to do. I must say I might possible remember that moment the most. I know she would do the same for me.
I stayed back there with her for a while, I'm not sure how long. Her daughter's father was also in the room with her. I remember hearing from her mother the minute her daughter arrived. I was so excited. I couldn't wait to see her and hold Brittany. She was full term and had a natural birth with an epidural. The baby was fine weighing a normal 5 lbs 13 ounces. Both and mother and baby were healthy and allowed to go home. Dawn, however, had to return to the hospital the day after coming home due to complications from the epidural. She was paralyzed for 24 hours from spinal leakage. It passed and mother and baby were home, healthy, and happy. Dawn was very tired and quickly learned the intensity of motherhood. I was still there helping out when I could. I have included a picture from Dawn's recent wedding with her now 13 yr old daughter.

2 comments:

  1. You sound like you have more experience then you think. Like you I have no children of my own yet and even at 30 I know what a hard task having children will be, I can not imagine doing it at 15. Family support is definitly key there. It is crazy to think in some cultures 15 is normal. I have 11 nieces and 1 nephew between 3 of my sisters, one of them has 5 daughters! I do not know how she does it! I love m nieces so much but glad I have waited so far. I teach toddlers and even with 10 of them 9 hours a day I still can't wait to have my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The story of your friend got me thinking about the situation in Africa presently where teenage pregnancy is still common. While your friend can tell the parents and matured relatives, in most African countries, especially Nigeria this is hard because of the culture. What happens in most cases is for such pregnant girls to tell their friends who are equally inexperienced, this has resulted into many fatal cases as their friends often take them to quack doctors in search of a solution to the problem.

    ReplyDelete