There are no seven wonders of the world in the eyes of a child. There are seven million. ~Walt St

There are no seven wonders of the world in the eyes of a child.  There are seven million.  ~Walt St
There are no seven wonders of the world in the eyes of a child. There are seven million. ~Walt Streightiff

Friday, March 25, 2011

Stressors of Childhood

During my childhood the predominant stressor in my life was chaos. I lived in a home with my mom and dad, but directly across the street from my grandparent's home. My mother, who passed away a year ago, was an alcoholic who went out almost every night. My dad worked everyday, but also most nights. I spent the days at either my home or my grandparents home. Many of my nights were spent at a babysitter's house. Some nights I spent with my grandparents. The nights spent at the babysitter's were usually late. I was usually picked up in what seemed like the middle of the night or early morning before daylight. I can still remember the smell of the cool night air combined with the smell of cigarettes. The hard pat was never knowing when I would get to go home or who would be picking me up. It's hard for a child not being at home and especially falling asleep somewhere other than home. There were lots of tears shed and lots fo time spent in the bathroom at the babysitters. The bathroom was somewhere I could go and be alone. The babysitter had to make me come out many times and then try to stop my crying. I could cry alone in the bathroom where I thought no one would know I was upset. I suppose crying was my relief. I would also call my grandparents from my house, at a very young age, to come get me. If they were available they usually came. There home was my refuge from everything at my house. At there home I was away from being taken to the babysitter. I had several friends in the neighborhood where I would go until dark, when I had to go home. I never wanted to go home because I knew that meant I might be going to a babysitter, but it could also mean going to my grandparents. I found strength and comfort in them.
Picture of My mom and sister at my Wedding October 9, 2009.








Note: Pictures of my grandparents, Memaw and Pawpaw, can be found on the right side of this page. Under Ginny's Childhood Web.

There are many other countries around the world where the chaos I experienced as a child doesn't seem very chaotic at all. I have always had a roof over my head and I knew who my parents were even if I didn't always know where they were. Even the parental fighting I experienced before my parents divorced, was like a slap on the arm, compared to violence children witness in other places. Countries such as Haiti where the majority of the population are under age 18. The country was hit by an earthquake in 2010 that caused widespread devastation. Haiti is the poorest country in the western hemisphere. Many of the Haitian children were orphans before the quake, but the numbers increased dramatically afterward. The stressors the children of Haiti face and cope with daily are poverty, natural disaster, isolation, hunger, noise, chaos, disease, environmental pollution, and violence. Haiti does not have access to safe drinking water. (You may refer to my previous post on access to healthy water to find out more.) Haitians do not have access to water so the children spend most of their time going to get brackish water. The country is impoverished and there is no water readily available which leads to poor sanitation. Many of the fields and livestock were wiped out by storms. Each year more and more tropical storms and hurricanes hit Haiti. Most of the people and children in Haiti are still living in tent cities which makes for a noisy environment and often brings about violence. The violence is gender based against women and children. Women in the Haitian communities are having to fight off rape and child trafficing even though there bodies are weak. The children feel isolated and scared. There is so much going on around them and rarely a calm moment. Some of the children want people to hear their stories so everyone see first hand the devastation and suffering they are a part of daily.
There are many organizations and foundations helping to minimize the harm of these stressors. Cholera prevention kits are being sent to help prevent its spread and when funds are available more medical supplies are sent to Haiti. There is a currently a clean water project for Haiti to install chlorinators in Por de Prince, Haiti. These will provide clean water to 300,000 Haitians and allow for more sanitary conditions. New orphanages are being opened thanks to caring people and private donations. The children have a safe place to live, learn, and grow because they will also receive the proper nutrition. Many of the children will never make it out of the orphanages do to lack of adoption and previous illnesses. Through many private donations and volunteers there has been a large effort to protect the children of Haiti and keep them safe.

Save the Children Voices from the Field: Haiti Earthquake Emergency

Haiti Children

5 comments:

  1. Ginny, thank you for sharing your childhood experiences. So often, we make assumptions about others, and we do not realize that everyone has had their own unique childhood challenges and stressors. I am curious, how was the relationship between you and your mother before she passed away? Since we know that the brain produces cortisol in response to stress (Berger, 2009), have you been able to assess the short term or long term effect of the stress you experienced as a child?

    Berger, K.S., (2009) The First Two Years: Biosocial Development. The Developing Person Through Childhood (5th ed.) (p. 138)New York, NY: Worth Publishers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ginny,
    As I've said before: Congratulations on being a resilient kid! You figured out how to get your needs met and where you felt safe. Your experiences seemed to have had a great deal of influence on your chosen profession.
    I grew up on a dairy farm. I rarely spent a night away from home. However, when one of my younger sister's was born prematurley we did have to stay at a neighbor's. I was 7. I wish we could have stayed home. Our parents thought they were doing what was best but with the tramatic birth and uncertainty of our sister being home would have been best.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ginny,

    Thank you for sharing your story. I think you are being stronger than anyone would expect you to by saying chaos was your childhood stressor. It seems to me you went through much more than that. There may not have been physical abuse in your family but the neglect could definitley constitute as a form of emotional abuse. However you describe it you are a strong woman and a role model for many children!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In response to Joy's comment..
    I was able to have a relationship with my mother before she passed away. I did not see her much at all until I was out of high school. She wasn't around much when I was a child. She moved from place to place and although I think my dad knew where she was in was not usually a place for children. It was nice in the last few years to get to exchange stories and be a part of her life. I have been able to assess the long term and short term affects that stress had on my life. I did a lot of assessing before I got married. A lot of what plays out in our relationships with others is the effects from our childhood. I was surprised to find out how much. Luckily throughout my life I have had very supportive friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ginny,
    I am so grateful to you for your openness. It not only allows us to see a picture of strength in you; it also encourages others with similar experiences to open up and share their stories with hopes of recovery and victory as well. I say VICTORY, because your circumstances could have influenced you to live the same kind of life that you experienced--instead, you have chosen a path that will make you accessible to children suffering (like you did) in need of your guidance and encouragement to make it, and to those children...you will be their hero :)

    God bless you!

    ReplyDelete