There are no seven wonders of the world in the eyes of a child. There are seven million. ~Walt St

There are no seven wonders of the world in the eyes of a child.  There are seven million.  ~Walt St
There are no seven wonders of the world in the eyes of a child. There are seven million. ~Walt Streightiff

Friday, March 4, 2011

Childbirth in Korea

I have a friend who is currently teaching in Korea to the very young 2,3,& 4 year olds. I have another friend who just finish a tour of duty there for the U.S. Army and has just returned home. Women who are able and ready in America usually share there pregnancy with their husbands or mothers first. In Korea the news is shared first with the mother-in-law, then the father, and lastly her mother. I know of very few women who would tell their mother-in-law first. It is quite different from American culture. There are many rituals of what to eat, not to eat, and what to do and not to do. These are similar to what American's do for the prenatal care of the child and their health. Unlike my friend with who was lucky to an epidural even with the after affects, it's not an option in Korea. In the Korean culture the woman must bite down on a cloth and ropes to hold on to for pain. She is not a loud to show pain. Did I mention she must stay quiet? The only time I've heard of this is when Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise had their baby. She had to remain quiet but it was do to their beliefs in Scientology. Men are also not allowed near the mother in labor only the mother in law and women who have experience child birth. No one can come around fro 21-100 days following a birth. The father-in-law names the child the name of his choice. My friend chose her daughter's name and like most American families names are discussed with family and friends.
Also, for health purposes after the delivery mothers are encouraged to eat seaweed soup. I have included the picture below.

References
Korean childbirth Traditions.(2005,October 7).Retrieved from:
http://www.hawcc.hawaii.edu/nursing/RNKorean_04.html
Korea4Expats.com.(2010).Childbirth Customs. Retrieved from:http://www.korea4expats.co
/article-childbirth-customs-korea.html

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ginny,
    This is very interesting! Thanks for sharing!
    When I was in birth class the instructor encouraged us to keep quiet because you can't be in control, be focused or in the moment when you're screaming. I chewed on ice and a cold cloth. I was able to have our 3 daughters with no drugs.
    I couldn't imagine eating seaweed soup.
    Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ginny
    Thank you for sharing information on childbirth in Korea. It appears that much respect is given to the child's father and his family. Very interesting. I wonder how this plays out in Korean culture. I would not be surprised to find out that the husband and his family come first in other areas of Korean culture. Ginny, I look forward to being your colleage and continuing to share!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was very interesting to read. I know that with many Asian cultures that to show emotions during difficult times is considered dishonorable or offensive. I think that what ever the experience for the mother her culture should be valued and taken into account. I know there are many people who believe that the risks of the epidural do not outweigh the possible side effects that the epidural can cause after birth.

    ReplyDelete