There are no seven wonders of the world in the eyes of a child. There are seven million. ~Walt St

There are no seven wonders of the world in the eyes of a child.  There are seven million.  ~Walt St
There are no seven wonders of the world in the eyes of a child. There are seven million. ~Walt Streightiff

Friday, March 11, 2011

Access to Healthy Water

Access to healthy water is extremely meaningful to me. I live in a developed region of the world in a major city. Of course living in a large city comes with exposure to many pollutants. There are constant news headlines warning about the pollutants that could be in the water. Luckily the water where I live comes from the Artesian Wells and most people prefer Memphis water over bottled water. There is also no color or odor to our water, which is nice when bathing and washing clothes. Memphis water contains florid which is good for the maintenance of healthy teeth. I realized just how thankful I was for clear, clean water after meeting my husband. We went to visit his family for the first time, not too long after we met. The water was brown. After flushing the toilet a time or two and hoping no one noticed, I wondered should I brush my teeth. I did brush them and showered. The water actually adds nutrients to your hair making it softer than usual. In the whole scheme of things the water there still holds very little comparison to other regions. Even developed regions outside of the U.S. do not have healthy water, it has color, odor, and foreign particles in it.

Children in other countries are dying everyday and almost every second from healthy water diseases. The water in Western Europe is quite contaminated which is the cause of many diseases related to water. The Compliance Committee there has two main goals to complete by 2015. They want to double the number of people having access ti improved water and to reduce child mortality under age five. Also, the countries in Africa are in desperate need of healthy water. In some African countries water supply systems are being put in,but they are very small in numbers. The lack of unhealthy drinking water which in turn gives children more time for an education. The new systems allow for faster retrieval of water which in turns gives children time for an education. More education means learning about healthy hygiene, for instance the use of soap and water to wash hands.

There are several organizations that we can get involved with to help in these other countries. Changes are being made one slow step at a time. I contribute to UMCOR, United Methodist Committee on Relief, with my donations but I can do so much more. I will work more closely with this organization locally to try and make a difference in the lives of these families and children. In my work we are always discussing and promoting healthy habits. In the future I will discuss with my students more in-depth, pollutants and what we can do to protect our waterways and environment. I will encourage the global concern for healthy water and what they can do to help. We must remember our environments and everything in it have an impact on the young child.

I have included some links here you may find helpful and informative.

Concern World Wide
Safe Water International
United States Environmental Protection Agency
United Methodist Committee on Relief UMCOR
UNICEF Image

UNICEF

New safe-water systems in rural Niger enable children to go to school

CHINWAGHARI VILLAGE, Niger, 22 March 2010 – Surrounded by a throng of other children, each carrying empty containers, 8-year-old Fatima Hamouma walked to the new, modern water taps in her village. In just a few minutes, she had filled all six of her containers. Just a year ago, fetching water from the old traditional well would have required at least three hours of hard work.

4 comments:

  1. I live in the rural area in a small Mississippi town of Potts Camp. We have a Well or a Sytem as they were once called. Our water is fresh and cold everyday. When I read your blog it made me think how fortunate we are to have water to drink. There are so many people in other parts of world who don't have the pleasure of clean drinking water, health care, or school to go to. I have learn so much by reading your blog. I want to become of part of an organization that can help other who are less fortunate.
    Thanks Ginny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ginny,

    It amazes me as we continue through our course work how even when we choose different topics things seem to tie in together. I blogged about breast feeding and how in other not as developed countries who experience more natural disasters are at risk if of infants dying do to contaminated water and how the World Health Organization encourages mothers to breast feed as long as they can.

    I live in an area of NC that after many bad storms (hurricanes and such) we often go under boil water alerts. I feel very fortunate to be able to choose to drink bottled water when ever I want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ginny,
    I am humbled by the people around the world who do not have the simple basic necessity of clean water to drink. I was visiting my mother several weeks ago in the country (Three Rivers, MI), where she drinks well water from her backyard. There was an ice storm which knocked out the power for most of the area. I can't tell you how inconvenient and discomforting it was to have to "salvage" the little bit of clean water that we had in the house for two days. That was NOTHING compared to what people suffer on a daily basis in developing regions. Thank you for reminding us of what a blessing we truly have, and can truly be to others.
    CCWhite

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ginny - your experiences help us (your colleagues) apply what we are learning to what is actually happening in different places around the world. I often think about the fact that we have clean water in the United States, and we do not worry about water quality when we shower, brush our teeth or drink. There are so many things we take for granted in the United States: qualty water, clean air, an abundance of food, schools to attend, the right to openly protest against government. I am glad we are students at a university that expects us to exercise our social responsibility and to take our scholarly experience to improve the lives of others. It looks like your are already doing that with your students. Thank you for the resource links.

    ReplyDelete