There are no seven wonders of the world in the eyes of a child. There are seven million. ~Walt St

There are no seven wonders of the world in the eyes of a child.  There are seven million.  ~Walt St
There are no seven wonders of the world in the eyes of a child. There are seven million. ~Walt Streightiff

Saturday, July 7, 2012

80's Sitcom - Diff'rent Strokes

This post is related to communication and how it may be interpreted.  I was asked to view a sitcom that I was not familiar with.  I chose Diff'rent Strokes because I haven't watched it since I was a very young child, and I really don't remember any of it.  I have heard famous lines from it on many occasions such as, "what you lookin' at Willis".  A friend of mine just recently posted this on a picture of her new baby, wide eyed gazing at the camera.  So I thought why not venture back to 80's television, after all 80's fashion right now is all the rage or "rad".  Does that word take you back?
 Step back in time with me, to visit non-verbal and verbal communication in this episode of, "The Trip" with Gary Coleman in Diff'rent Strokes. 

First I will watch the episode with the sound turned off then with it turned on.  Listed below the video, are the questions and responses from watching the episode with and without sound.  You may wish to take a shot at it yourself before reading my responses.



Without Sound
* What do you think the characters' relationships are based on the ways in which they are communicating?
I thought the relationships between them, were that they were a family.  I was confused  by whether or not the housekeeper was a housekeeper, a mom, or grandmother.  I sensed that the children all lived together in the same house from the opening credits.  I was not aware of how the family came to be since there were two Black boys, a white girl, and an older white lady and man.
The older gentlemen talked with another man on the phone who appeared to be a travel agent possibly.  He held a folder in his hand that could have been an agenda, while he was on the phone. 

* What are they feeling and expressing based on the nonverbal behavior you are observing?
They all appear very happy and very excited.  It appears the family is going on a trip, and judging by the young boy fishing, the older in scuba gear, and the young girl in a bikini I imagined the beach.  They are all laughing together, with a brotherly fight which is quickly broken up by the housekeeper.  The younger boy seems very upset about something that he expressed to the family.  He discusses it more with his brother.  They later begin laughing again.  Later they arrive at the airport, but without sound I still have no idea where they are.  They meet a man who the older man had spoken on the telephone with.  I assumed he was a travel agent, but seeing as they met at the airport and the man had two younger girl (children) with him I was not sure.  They appear excited to see each other hugging and giving friend arm slugs while laughing.  When the man with the two boys and a girl is called to the phone the expressions change and they begin to look sad.  It looks like there trip maybe be ending before it begins.  The other man with the two girls are still happy waiting on the other family who has remained by the phone.   



With Sound
* What assumptions did you make about the characters and plot based on the ways in which you interpreted the communication you observed?
I assumed they were all excited about a trip they would be taking, and that the younger boy was upset about something to do with the trip.  He did not want to fly.  Without sound I had no way of knowing the type of travel they would be taking until they were in an airport. I was wrong in assuming they were going to the beach for a trip, and that the man on the phone was a travel agent.  The man on the phone was actually an old friend of the others.   It was also to Oregon and not the beach as I had assumed.   Also, in the end they would not be ending their trip early.  The story did take a turn that would not be as happy for the families. The trip was for business and the older man would be firing the man who was a friend.  He had traveled there to meet and discuss his taking over of the radio station the other man worked for.  I assumed by their laughter and clapping they were all excited to be doing something. They were excited to go on a Spring vacation together.   I was correct about the housekeeper, that was the older lady's role.  I was also correct in that the two boys were adopted brothers. 

* Would your assumptions have been more correct if you had been watching a show you know well?
My assumptions would have been more correct if I had been watching a show I know well because I know the characters and how they interact with each other.  I also have a basic idea on shows I watch of the relationship between characters and what the stories are about.  Not having seen this show and not knowing the characters other than through a few famous remarks, it was difficult without sound to know what was actually taking place. 

It is important to look at body language and facial expressions when listening to someone communicate.  Being able to hear is an advantage when determining what someone is saying or doing.  My "aha" moment was when I realized I had no idea what this program was actually about.  It is important to not only listen, but pay attention to detail.  Here the young boy did not want to fly and express his concern for that very dramatically by shaking his head no, waving his arms to signal no way no how, and sitting in a chair with a stern look on his face.  In the end this expression and feeling changed when he came off the plane pretending to fly.  When someone ask why the rest of his family didn't look good he jokingly said, "some people just can't take flying".  
Assuming without hearing and understanding can lead to very different truths.  

 

4 comments:

  1. Ginny,
    I have not thought about that show for a long time. Even when you watch it with the sound turned on, it is difficult to follow the plot. Thank you for taking me back in time. What a fun post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara,
      Your welcome and yes it was a little difficult to follow. I had a somewhat difficult time. Also, I somehow missed part of my post so I have edited it to include everything now. I thought it would be interesting to follow an older television sitcom. As we know actors have changed along with what is allowed on television now and technology itself has changed.
      Ginny

      Delete
  2. Your blog is just so creative! I love how you include clips and photos--just fun to watch. It is interesting when you realize that you misinterpret information when the volume is turned down. My "aha" moment was when I realized that I thought I understood the emotions by facial expressions, but I was wrong. Sometimes people smile when a smile is not the expression they are feeling. I thought the characters on the show I watched were happy, without issues, because of their smiles and playful behavior. I learned that was not true. This assignment was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your point about how paying attention to detail is important. We miss out so many cues when we don't pay attention to the details such as facial gestures, hand or body movements.

    ReplyDelete