There are no seven wonders of the world in the eyes of a child. There are seven million. ~Walt St

There are no seven wonders of the world in the eyes of a child.  There are seven million.  ~Walt St
There are no seven wonders of the world in the eyes of a child. There are seven million. ~Walt Streightiff

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Professional Hopes and Goals

This post is in response to the end of an eight week course on Perspective Diversity and Equity.

"WE ARE THE WORLD"

At the beginning of the course we were asked to watch several videos from Playing for a Change songs included in those videos were "One Love", "War/No More Troubles", "Imagine", and "Equal Rights". 
Thinking about what I have learned in this course and ways to stand up and make a change I began thinking of other songs that send this same message.  As an early childhood educator I hope to make a difference in the lives of families, children, the educational learning environments, and within the communities I work.   "We are the World"  is the first some that came to mind.  Of course upon searching for video I came across the original, then the many times across the world the song was used, along with the most recent version remade for the devastating earthquake in Haiti.   I finally found this wonderful rendition with pictures of children.  

One hope that I have when I think about working with children and families who come from diverse backgrounds I would like to communicate with them by listening to them and hearing the families goals for their children.  I hope to keep an un-bias open mind with regards to the backgrounds.  I think often times when hope and insist that they conform to our culture and our needs, and I am working to put myself in their shoes.  I have never been to another country and I can't imagine what it would be like to move and begin school outside of my culture.  These families have dreams for their children just as American families have dreams for their children.   One hope to remain open and sincere about hearing these families and communicating with them to insure they feel welcome.


One goal you would like to set for the early childhood field related to issues of diversity, equity, and social justice is encouraging ece colleagues to be mindful of their biases and careful not to judge, but rather do their best to include all families.  Also, to share their ideas with one another on ways to incorporate diversity into the field.  As I have learned in this class, something I have seen many times, diversity is more than just a book with children of another race.  I believe this is the easy way out to say "yes I have diversity in my classroom" when in actuality you don't really.  One goal to stand up and make a difference through discussing with colleagues ways to change.  To standup for bias statements that I hear in and around me.

I would like to say thank you to all of my colleagues that I have worked with in the last eight weeks. We have worked hard and come a long way, I have really enjoyed reading everyone's blogs and discussion posts.  Together we can make a difference one small step that each of us takes adds up to one big step.  Reminds me of Neil Armstrong and his walk on the moon.  Also, another song that comes time is posted below. 


 
"Joyful Noise" - THE MAN IN THE MIRROR



6 comments:

  1. Ginny,
    I appreciate your post, the songs, the goals for your journey in early childhood studies. I hope that things have settled down for you with the broken water pipe. I cannot even imagine moving so many times during this class.
    Thank you for being there for me.
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ginny,
    Thank you for your post. One thing you stated was that you have never been to another country. I have never spent time in another country either, so we really don't know (we can imagine) what those who are new to our country may experience and what they risk losing. Now that I think of of it one of my long range goals will be to visit another country to experience adapting (or attempting to) to another country and their culture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ginny,
    My children and I were listening to man in the mirror 2 days ago. It was one my favorites. I have enjoyed working with you in this class and I hope to see you in some of the other classes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always I've enjoyed your blogs! What a great way to end this course!!! Your post was wonderful this week and I enjoyed listening to your YouTube clips. I loved your hopes and goals and wish you much success!!! Thanks for all you've done--thanks for all your help! See you in our next class :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ginny,
    You have had a wonderful blog throughout this course! You can see the passion you have for the field of early childhood education. It is very apparent that you care about children and families and are open and welcoming of diversity! I am so glad to see the positive changes and insights we have all gained from this course! Thank you for all the insight you have given to me! I wish you the best of luck in future courses!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ginny,

    I loved the way you approached this assignment of communicative thought in a creative way. In reflection, I think we will refer back to this foundational understanding/thought!

    Janille

    ReplyDelete