There are no seven wonders of the world in the eyes of a child. There are seven million. ~Walt St

There are no seven wonders of the world in the eyes of a child.  There are seven million.  ~Walt St
There are no seven wonders of the world in the eyes of a child. There are seven million. ~Walt Streightiff

Saturday, May 12, 2012

My Family Culture

Scenario -- A major catastrophe has almost completely devastated the infrastructure of the United States.  The emergency government has decided that the surviving citizens will be best served if they are evacuated to other countries willing to take refugees. You and your immediate family are among the survivors of this catastrophic event.  However, you have absolutely no input into the final destination or in any other evacuation details.  You are told that your hose country's culture is completely different from your own, and that you might have to stay there permanently.  You are further told that, in addition to one change of clothes, you can only take 3 small items with you.  You decide to take three items that you hold dear and that represent your family culture.

Chosen Items
1) Family Recipe Book
My grandmother was a cook, home economist, and teacher.  She was my sunshine and taught me everything I know today including the importance of education and teaching.  Along with many other women in our family she had wonderful recipes from both the north and the south that remind me of my American family traditions and holidays.  Many recipes were passed down from her mother and grandmother.

2) Bible 
This was a bible given to me when I was confirmed.  I am a Christian and it is important to me to remember this and share m faith wherever I go.  My bible is a reminder of God's promises to me and to stay strong and secure in my faith.  The bible is all the instruction needed to get through whatever life throws my way.  For instance, the fall of the United States infrastructure.

3) Wedding Album
My family, friends, and church as witnesses supporting my husband and I in joining together in holy matrimony in their presence before God.  A reminder that marriage is important and that we are one together not separate.  That we share vows together that one is not better than the other or more powerful.  That marriage is between two people and a lasting love covenant until we are parted by death.

Oh me, oh my what's that they say.  To this foreign land, in which I may stand, I may only have one...

If this were to be the case I would feel a sense of unfairness and unjust.  I am not use this and would be sadden with this decision process.   I would cry or more or less throw a fit.  I hold all of these above items as a part of my family belongings, that can be passed down for generations.  I would cry and be simple heart broken.   Each thing is different done having to do with the other.  If I lost one I would feel like a part of me had been lost and destroyed.

Insights
As a result of thinking about this through this exercise. I have gained a better since of my culture and what I truly hold dear to me.  I had not thought about these things in the past.  Of course, I have thought if I was trapped on a desert island what would I take.  I have to admit none of the above were on that list.  I thought of this like the scenario sets up, what if I did not know where I was going or if I would ever return.  I am quite a home body and don't take changes very well.  This would be very difficult for me.  I had a disaster at my house a year ago in April and lost many pried family possessions.  I can not imagine going through this.  I do however, realize that many families do experience this and have to leave everything.  My family culture and cultural differences are importance to me such as my faith, religions, food, and marriage.  The diversity within these things contain likenesses and differences that I want to be able to express freely.  











































































































1 comment:

  1. Ginny,
    What an inspiring post!!! I love it that you hold God's Word in such high respect and value. He is our sustrainer and our shield so we know that He is our protection for life's good times and bad times. Thank you, Barbara

    ReplyDelete