There are no seven wonders of the world in the eyes of a child. There are seven million. ~Walt St

There are no seven wonders of the world in the eyes of a child.  There are seven million.  ~Walt St
There are no seven wonders of the world in the eyes of a child. There are seven million. ~Walt Streightiff

Saturday, March 10, 2012

My Personal Research Journey

This assignment has been a difficult one for me to take on.  I have so many topics that I am interested in when it comes to early childhood education.  As I have mentioned before, when I set out to be a teacher I was not in the field of Early Childhood, but rather Elementary Education.  My passion since beginning in Early Childhood education as a Pre-k teacher has grown tremendously.  The subtopic I will be focusing on for my simulations in the following weeks will be families involvement in the Early Childhood environments and educational process.   This year I was given the challenge of working with a Hispanic child and her family.  Through my personal work with them, the other families in my class, and previous class learning I have become more familiar with the importance of making families feel welcome and wanted.  Through this simulation process I hope to learn more about this topic.

Simulation Process..... is a work in progress
I am nervous about this process and praying I can find my way through it.  It is similar to research papers I have done in the past.  The research chart was a bit trying for me, I have always had trouble putting things into my own words.  I believe it is because sometimes I have enough trouble trying to understand what is being said.  At first I was unsure if this was suppose to be from the text book or actually about our own research, so that left me feeling confused.   I hope it was from the textbook, if I'm not correct I would really appreciate someone letting me know.  Even though it may put me behind.  One thing I gained was that of making a folder on the computer to store research articles.  This was a helpful suggestion I found from the text Ch.2.    I have them in two places.  I have a folder on my desktop and I also have a folder in the ESBO library. This is where you can folder any articles you look at through Walden Library.  It keeps you from having to remember where an article is and how you found it.  Also, in searching on the library site I have found it helpful to use more then one Database at a time to search.  You will get more of a variety of results.  On the what type of research will I do section of the text.  I want to think I am more inclined to use triangulation as a research approach.
Open for Suggestions
I have fretted over this and I know I am not alone, which is comforting.  I would love to hear suggestions about where to look for research on this topic.  I love personal experience conversations, first hand knowledge has always inspired me.   I know we are all searching and I hope I can be of help to everyone by sharing some of my experiences in this field.

By the grace of God and working with the wonderful classmates I have come to know, I know that nothing is impossible.  Everything that I do is to make a difference in education and the lives of families and children.  That makes it worth it!

2 comments:

  1. Hello Ginny!

    I think your chosen subtopic is just wonderful! Family involvement can truly enhance the preschool experience for everyone.

    I agree that the simulation process seems a bit overwhelming, but I think (and hope) that it is just because it's new to us. We'll be old hands at it before we know it! (fingers crossed)

    If I come across any resources on family involvement, I'll be glad to send them your way. Also--I used the textbook for the research chart too-- So, if you're wrong, then so am I--but, I think we are both right!

    I enjoyed your blog and I look forward to sharing this journey with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ginny,
    It was hard for me as well, to narrow down just one topic I wanted to focus on. My passion for the Early Childhood Field is so strong that it took me a few days to figure out. I am glad your working on family involvement. Family is so important to a child's development. If I see something that may be useful to you, I will be more than happy to pass it along. I have a feeling it is going to be a great class.

    ReplyDelete